Frequently Asked Questions

Can I apply for any position at any time?

Generally applications are only accepted for advertised positions. There are, however, a few positions with Country View Care Facility that we regularly take applications for throughout the year, including: Certified Nursing Assistants, Developmental Aides, and Licensed Practical Nurses. We also accept applications at any time for the position of School Health Assistant (Health Dept). Applications for these 4 positions are kept on file for six (6) months.

I’ve submitted my application, now what?

Each application is screened to make sure it is fully completed and to see if the applicant meets the minimum qualifications as outlined in the job posting. Human Resources will forward a copy of qualified applications to the appropriate department. Each department will contact applicants they are interested in interviewing when an opening available to external candidates occurs. Depending on the position applied for, you may be required to complete various assessment tests. Should you receive an offer of employment, your offer may be subject to successfully completing a pre-employment physical, drug screen, criminal background check, and/or driving record check.

Unsuccessful applicants who interview for a position will be notified by mail when the position has been filled.

NOTE: Applicants must be at least 18 years of age to be considered for regular full-time or part-time employment with Black Hawk County.

Can I submit a resume instead of an application?

Most positions require a fully completed application, unless otherwise advertised. You are welcome to include a resume with your application if you have one. If you leave portions of the application blank because you are submitting a resume, you may be disqualified from consideration for not following instructions to fully complete the application form.

How do I apply for a position as a Deputy Sheriff?

Deputy Sheriff positions are typically advertised in the Waterloo Courier, Des Moines Register, and the Cedar Rapids Gazette. Notices are also sent to Community Colleges in Iowa. Applications are only accepted during advertised periods. Information regarding where to pick up and return applications, application fees, deadlines, entrance exams and agility tests are included in the advertisement. For more information, you may contact the Black Hawk County Sheriff’s Office at 319-291-2587.

How do I apply for a position in the Conservation Department?

To apply for a permanent or seasonal position at Black Hawk Park, Hickory Hills or McFarland Park, you may download an application from this website or stop into our office, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Notices for seasonal position openings are sent to Iowa Workforce Development.

To apply for temporary Urban Youth Corps work at the Hartman Reserve Nature Center, you may also download an application from this website or stop into our office. Notices for openings are sent to Iowa Workforce Development, The Boys and Girls Club, and all local high schools. (Seasonal positions are subject to grant funding.)

How do I apply for a Civilian Dispatcher Position?

Applications are only accepted when a position is advertised. Advertisements will be placed in the Waterloo Courier and posted on our web page. Information about the application process, testing, testing fees, etc. are included in the advertisement.

Are Internships, Co-ops or Seasonal Work Available?

Internships, Co-ops and seasonal positions are generally coordinated between individual departments and educational institutions such as the University of Northern Iowa or Hawkeye Community College. If you are a student, please check with your Career Services Department or Instructors for possible openings. The County departments that occasionally offer these types of positions include: the Health Department, the Engineer’s Office, and the County Attorney’s Office. Generally, you may submit a resume for these positions.

Frequently requested applications that are not County Positions:

Jail Food Service - contact the Black Hawk County Sheriff’s Office at 319-291-2587.

A’viands Café - contact the Black Hawk County Sheriff’s Office at 319-291-2587.

Police Officer - contact the City of Waterloo Human Resources at 319-291-4303 or visit their website at

Firefighter - contact the City of Waterloo Human Resources at 319-291-4303 or visit their website at

Iowa Judicial System or Clerk of Courts - contact the Clerk of Courts at 319-833-3332 or visit their website at

Correctional Services - for local employment opportunities contact the Department of Correctional Services Facility at 319-236-9626. To search for positions state wide, visit their website at

Juvenile Detention Center- contact the Center at 319-291-2455. They are located next to the Black Hawk County Youth Shelter on Dunkerton Road. (If you wish to apply for a position at the Youth Shelter, you may download the application on this website or pick up an application at the Black Hawk County Human Resources Department located in the basement of the Court House.)

Assessor’s Office - contact them at 319-833-3006.